Friday, April 8, 2011

A file from Life lessons from my son

My son Yosh, Yehoshua Binyamin, has Down Syndrome, he also has a very special soul. Now I know I'm the abba, Hebrew for father, and I am supposed to say that, however if you read the stuff I am going to write about him you will begin to understand...


On Monday April 5th, 2011 I took Yosh to a Nets game. At half time I asked him if he wanted home or more game. He signed wait (basically he wiggle his fingers- close enough to the real sign for most people to understand). After a minute or two he signed and said home; car. So, we went home. The lesson here is think before you make a decision. Even though he clearly wanted to stay, he weighed the pros and cons. It was already past his bed time and he knew (or so I assume) that he would get tired soon and when he gets tired he gets cranky. Crankiness of course would have ruined the evening.

Another lesson I learned occurred earlier in the game. There was a child behind us with those hit sticks, basically plastic filled with air that when struck together make a loud noise. He was of course banging them together constantly. At one point Yosh looked back at the kid, saw he was not doing it just to annoy us, turned back around and enjoyed the rest of the game. Lesson: live and let live even if the other person is an annoyance.

No comments:

Post a Comment