Monday, February 11, 2013

So, Let's start from the Begininng

In October of 2001, we found out we were pregnant. Yes, I know it wasn't me who was pregnant, but I did have to live with a pregnant woman. My wife, at the time was over 40 and overweight so, we went to a high-risk OB/GYN. We had an amnio done and found out our first (and presently only) child has Down Syndrome. The doctor said, "I am sorry he is your first child". Almost everyone was fantastic. He sent us to a genetic counselor but there was only one thing we could possibly do. Love this child with all of our hearts.

We are both Special Ed teachers and so know all about trials and tribulations. That is not what made our decision. The decision was simple, we want a child and will love the child no matter what he or she does or does not do. There was therefor no question what so ever of aborting- religious views aside, we would not have aborted even if we were not religious Jews.

Flash forward to the day before he was born. It was a Friday night when Kerri's water broke, and I did not get a wink of sleep. Saturday around noon Kerri gets her first contraction and I still can't sleep. Finally, Saturday night her contractions are getting closer together so we head off to the hospital. There of course it is hurry up and wait. The doctor did a pelvic exam and discovered the baby was breach so off to have a c-section my wife goes.

It is now 3:20 Sunday morning and I have not slept since Friday morning, when the nurses and doctor role our little boy out in an incubator. They stop to let me look at him and I start counting his fingers and toes- 10 each Thank G-d. The doctor asked me what I was doing, and I told him, counting his fingers and toes, isn't that what you are supposed to do to make sure your child is ok?

There followed the longest 10 weeks of our lives...

To be continued.

2 comments:

  1. And I was the first family member after Abba and mom to see him, count his fingers and toes, and just watch him. I was there for his first poop. It was hard to leave him and go home

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pooping meant his organs were working and that put a smile on my face

    ReplyDelete